Friday, September 5, 2008

2008.09.05

Today I went to some first year classes instead of the third years like I was supposed to. It was fun. The kids have tests on Monday and Tuesday (which is why I didn't go to third year), so they need to study. It was fun. I got to grade a lot of work from the third years though. My favorite sentence so far has to be "I don't like rain because it's damp." I actually did laugh out loud at that. It's just so cute. This fellow has become #1 in my book for that sentence. I have no idea who he is, but I know he's a winner.
At around 7.00, I went to my welcome party. Enkai. A word one must come to know if in Japan for any length of time. Basically, enkai is a drinking party. Yeah, I got pretty drunk. I ate like 10 bites in an effort to get drunk so I'd relax. It was fun. Talked and laughed with my coworkers. One of them taught me how to be more lady-like in my Japanese. I think he was secretly poking fun at my bad Japanese, but it's all cool.
After that, was Nijikai (the after-party). That was fun too. One really drunk coworker kept asking if I like sexual harassment, and couldn't quite get that sexual harassment was harassment because it's unwanted attention. It was a rather fun party. But, I learned that my keeper will be leaving in about a year and a half to move to Yokohama and get married and all that stuff. It makes me sad, but there isn't much that I can do about it other then have fun while I can.
After the after-party, two teachers and myself waited around to get a ride from one of their girlfriends. One of the teachers bought more beer and udon from the conbini (I can't spell it correctly in English, but what a 7-11 is) right next to the bar we went to. The other teacher asked how long I was going to be in Japan, and I said probably for at least 2 years, and then he said that he hopes that I stay for longer - get married to a Japanese man and stay.

It was an interesting night to say the least. (yeah for being able to change the post date!)

No comments:

Post a Comment